1. Where do I go to register my software?
To register your DocShuttle software, please go to http://www.bytescribe.com/register.
2. When I installed my software on a new computer, my Registration Number changed. What happened?
The Registration Number and Confirmation Code are different for each computer on which the software is installed. Please take note of the new Registration Number and register online to get the new Confirmation Code.
3. I had to reinstall Windows on my computer, and my Registration Number changed. What happened?
Sometimes, when you reinstall or upgrade Windows on your computer, the Registration Number and Confirmation Code will change. Please take note of the new Registration Number and register online to get the new Confirmation Code.
4. I registered and got a Confirmation Code, but when I put it in I get an error message saying “Invalid Code.” Why?
There are three things that might cause you to receive an invalid Confirmation Code.
The first is that you may be using an old Registration Number. The Registration Number and Confirmation Code are different for each computer on which the software is installed. Even if you use the same disk to install the software on different computers, you will get different Registration Numbers. Please make sure that you are using the new Registration Number when registering.
Second, please check to see if there is a hyphen ( - ) somewhere in the Registration Number. If there is, that will affect the Confirmation Code. If the Registration Number contains a hyphen ( - ), then so will the Confirmation Code.
The third possibility is that the Registration Number was typed incorrectly. Please double-check the Registration Number that is on your screen and make sure that it exactly matches the number that was entered online.
5. When I go to register online, I get the message that says “You have exceeded the number of licenses.” What does that mean?
Software purchased from Bytescribe is a single user license intended for one user. The Product Serial Number that comes with your Bytescribe software can be used to register up to 3 times. If you have exceeded this number of registrations, you will need to purchase a new license or contact Bytescribe and request that the Product Serial Number be reset so that you can register online.
6. I change computers and/or re-format my computer a lot. I will need to register my software several times. Is there a way to avoid the registration process?
Yes. Bytescribe has a product called a USB Dongle (hardware license key), which plugs into a USB port on your computer. This dongle contains the registration information necessary for the Bytescribe software and it can be transferred from one computer to another. As long as the USB Dongle is plugged in, your software is registered. If you already have a valid software license, you may order a dongle from our online store. For more information, contact Bytescribe at (408) 987-5628 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
7. I don’t have a Product Serial Number. Can I register?
Bytescribe requires that you have a valid Product Serial Number in order to register or receive upgrades. If you do not have a Product Serial Number, you will need to purchase a license in order to receive one. (Bytescribe began using Product Serial Numbers in April of 2001. If you purchased your Bytescribe software before April 2001, then you will need to purchase a new license in order to receive a Product Serial Number.)
8. I want to buy/sell a Bytescribe software license. Is it transferable?
Yes. To transfer a license, the original purchaser or current legal license owner will need to send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
• The name of the original purchaser or current legal license owner
• The Product Serial Number
• The name of the new license owner
Bytescribe will then transfer the Product Serial Number to the new license owner’s name and that new owner may register, download upgrades, and receive support. The former license owner must remove all Bytescribe software that had been registered with that Product Serial Number.
9. When I try to register DocShuttle, I get the message “Connection Timed Out.” How can I complete the registration process?
First, check your DocShuttle software version. Click on the Help menu and select About. If you have a version earlier than 4.0.5, you will need to update your software. You can download DocShuttle version 4.1 from our website at http://www.bytescribe.com/docshuttle/version4/index.htm. Please call Bytescribe at 408-987-5628 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your Product Serial Number for the installation password.
Second, check to see that you are connected to the Internet. Unlike WavPlayer and SwiftText, DocShuttle needs to go online to complete registration. So try connecting to a web page that you don’t normally access and make sure that it works.
Finally, try checking the little box on the registration screen that says “Register Through Firewall.”